Thursday, May 10, 2007

Go Team!


It’s softball season ... and the Ann Arbor Googlers (or A2ooglers) have assembled a softball team set to take on other companies around the area. It’s to everyone’s benefit that I don’t play, but I’ve been known to talk loud and often, which makes me the perfect cheerleader. I stocked up on the necessities: sunflower seeds, peanut M&Ms (shocking), and bubble gum -- and I was ready for opening day at the softball diamond. Thankfully, it was a nice day; and I spent the day hoping it stayed that way.

It did stay that way, and after work I set out with one of my co-workers to cheer our team onto victory.

The umpire was a little crabby, and the other team may or may not have been considerably better than we were, but it was a great time. Cheers were tailored to the individual player ("train that ball like you train the phone team!") and the pictures are priceless. We may not have gotten the 'W,' but we're prepared to step it up next time.

It’s been easy for me to bridge the gap between my social and professional life at Google. I’ve found that it can be a bit difficult to meet new people when you enter the working world, so it’s nice that I can relate to my co-workers. It also makes it easier that we're a rapidly growing office, and there are continuous new people starting - so there is never a shortage of people to meet.

Even if, say, you're not the greatest athlete, activities around the office are fun, lighthearted, and easy to participate in while bringing whatever you want to bring to the table (i.e. my screaming-for-the-team voice instead of my cleats).

No comments: