Thursday, April 5, 2007

Brrr!

Just when you thought that the worst was over…

I’ve lived in the lovely state of Michigan for almost five years now. So am I surprised when half of the week is 70 degrees and beautiful, and the other half is 20 degrees and snowing? Not so much.

I always find it humorous when Midwesterners hear that I am from Seattle, and make fun of the Northwest's weather. ‘Doesn’t it rain, like, everyday there?’ Yeah, yeah, we get a lot of rain (even though this Friday, the Seattle area is supposed to be 78 degrees!!). But at least we know what to expect.

I couldn’t even offer a similar statement to a native Michigander. ‘Hey, don’t you guys get snow/sleet/rain/sun/fog/ice storms a lot? Like, in June?’

I was so NOT used to this kind of weather for the first two years that I lived here. I wore flip flops in February and I don't think I owned a real winter coat until junior year in college. I almost wore flip flops today, actually, but it was 25 degrees this morning. I've learned. I'm wearing my Uggs.

Even if you're not a cold weather person at heart, after you finally get the hint and buy a jacket, scarves, gloves, a face mask, snow boots, a hat with the little ball on top, an ice scraper, fleece blankets, and so on, you begin to realize that the Michigan weather isn't so bad. Now, I've just got to convince the Californians in the office of that. Don't worry, friends! April (snow) showers bring May (still icy and dead) flowers!

And, Google has just come out with themes that you can add to your Google homepage - that actually change based on the time of day and the weather in your zip code. Follow the weather, sun, rain, or whatever - anywhere you are.
The point of my post this week's bitter post is to address the fact that #1) it’s snowing outside, and it’s April and #2) I am writing this post watching the snow from a massage chair in the Google office.

I may not love the weather, but I sure do love my job.

3 comments:

cmah said...

Come to Mountain View:

Friday High: 72 degrees F

Think about it...

Unknown said...

Hi Stephanie,

I'm a UM grad searching for a new career path - I would love to talk to you a bit about Google and exactly what you do there, how you got your job, any advice..... My email is Troymode2004@yahoo.com. It'd be cool to hear from you!

Thanks a bunch!
Ryan

Jon said...

Boy that sounds familiar! lol